Saturday, November 15, 2008

Fire in Brea, my home town

This morning Ruth & I were in East Brea working out in a boot camp. It is a great 1 hour work out. Ruth talked me into doing it with her. I am glad she did. I have muscles waking up that have been asleep for a long time.

This morning it was so hot and dry, it made our work out a little harder then usual. Then the wind started. I told Ruth that this was fire weather.., Unfortunately, I was correct. But I never imagine it would happen in my town. About an hour after I arrived home I was out the door again for an appointment. I notice two different spots were a little fires had just started. I could see little black clouds of smoke.

One looked as if it was a couple of miles from my home, in the park were Ruth and I had our workout. The other looked like it was in the next city over. I called my sister-in-law, Chrissy, who lives in Yorba Linda and asked if her home was on fire because were I was driving it looked like the fire was in her yard. She looked outside and gasped. She said it was dark and smoky. Her family had to be evacuated hours later.

My little city and the neighboring cities have been burning all day. A lot of friends from church have been evacuated. So far there have been no homes destroyed in Brea. There has been rumors of restaurants and buildings being burned. Sadly, in Yorba Linda and Anaheim Hills over 100 homes have been destroyed.
A beautiful home I was in just a few weeks ago has been burned to the ground.

The wind and heat is supposed to continue through tomorrow.
Hopefully it isn't going to get worse before it gets better.
My eyes have been glued to the news.

Here are some photos of the fire next to
Nathan's High School about 3 miles from our home
This photo was taken during the middle of the day.
The smoke was so thick that it made the sun look like a dull light.

This was a Yorba Linda Neighborhood

My office is in Yorba Linda and most of the agents live there too.

I pray that their homes will be spared.

Every year we have fires in Southern California due to our Santa Ana winds. But this is the first time in my life when the destruction was in my own backyard.

My Prayers are for those who have lost their homes and for our brave firemen who will be fighting these fires all night to save our neighborhoods.

4 comments:

Shannon said...

Oh my goodness. So scary. I hope they don't get any closer to your house. I've never seen them that close to our area either. I will have to start checking the news. Take care of yourself!

Georgia said...

Its been so scary watching the news. I thought the same thing as you....its never been so close to home. I have 2 friends who are firefighters. 1 from Brea and 1 from Fullerton. Both are working these fires. The pictures say so much. Its very scary.

We are keeping all the people affected by the fire in our prayers, and the firefighters and their families, too.

amber buhrley said...

those are great photos beth. Where did you get them from. I feel like I was more updated about the fire from your blog then I have been from watching hours of the news!

Beth said...

I found the information and photos on line...while I was watching the news for any information, I was also searching on line.

The news was reporting on several fires but online you can pin point it to just your city. I found more information on line then I was getting on the news.

How did we ever get along with out the internet?