Friday, April 25, 2008

I'm a GRANDMA!!!!

Wendy Williams is here! April 24th at 2:57 pm 8 lbs, 2 oz, 20 inches long and beautiful! What an amazing day!!!
When I got the news around 8:30 in the morning that Heather & Ryan were in the hospital, my first thought was someone was sick or there had been an accident. I didn't think of Heather being in labor because no one in my family have there babies early. We are usually days late and feeling miserable. Wendy wasn't due for 10 more days! Heather was still looking pretty good.
When it finally sunk in that we were having our baby I went a little crazy...
Think Ricky Ricardo when Lucy went into labor.

Ryan told me that the Doctor said the baby would most likely come late that afternoon. I begged Ryan for something to do after he told me I shouldn't come for a while because I would get bored. I was running around hyperventilating most of the morning doing errands for Ryan & Heather. I couldn't stand it any more, I was going to the hospital to help my baby have her baby!
I called Ryan to let him know I was almost there, he told me the doctor just informed him that Heather was dilated to a 10 and that the baby was there! Well that put me into near hysterics! HEATHER COULD NOT HAVE THIS BABY WITHOUT ME! I yelled into the phone NOOOOO! DO NOT LET HER PUSH UNTIL I AM THERE! I knew if Heather did her breathing exercises she could hold off for me....not!
St Jude Hospital is in the middle of remodeling and I couldn't find where I was suppose to park. I was driving around like a maniac yelling at people walking on the street to please tell me where to park. Just then Ruthy called me to get an update on Heather. She realized I was about ready to pass out from my hyperventilating and she talked me down by having take slow breaths. She stayed on the phone with me giving me turn by turn directions until I was safely parked.

THANK YOU RUTH!!!
After running all the way to the labor & delivery, I walked into the room to find Heather looking very relaxed. In fact she looked great, not like someone who had been in labor for 12 hours! She was enjoying her epidural feeling no pain, only a little pressure. (WHY DID WE EVER DO NATURAL CHILDBIRTH 25 YEAR AGO?!!!) Ryan couldn't understand why I was acting so crazy. He tells me that Heather was dilated to a 10 but the baby was only a 0 and needed to be a 3 before Heather would start pushing! Well when Ryan's mom, Bobbie, came running into the room a short time later I realize I wasn't the only one who misunderstood.
About 2 hours later after a lot of pushing

Our sweet little Wendy
came into our world and
now our world will never
be the same!

11 comments:

Ruth said...

I can't believe your a grandma!!!! You old.

Katie Schultz said...

She is wonderful. I love the story... I still don't get that the baby was 0 and needed to be a 3, Dilated to a 10 would be enough to send me in to hysterics too! I am so excited to meet her

Christy said...

Girl, I would have been in hysterics too! And I started tearing up when you said, "helping my baby have her baby". It SERIOUSLY must be pregnant emotions. Or that my two daughters are getting older and I think I would be the same way! So happy things turned out and she is so beautiful! Congrats! And I'm with Ruth. I still can't believe you're a grandma and little Heather is a mom!

Kim said...

Hi, this is Kim, I'm friends with Ruth but decided to check out the new baby. This is a really classic post. I'm totally picturing Ricky and Lucy. Congratulations on the grandbaby. You seem way too young, but I guess my mom was too. Have fun. Sorry for the super random comment!
ps you kind of know me, I'm one of the million weddings you photographed

Debra Sheehan said...

Beth...I can totally see you driving around St Jude parking lot yelling out to people "Where's the parking lot?" :)
Your grandbaby is adorable. I think she looks like Ryan without the glasses! Casual laid back thing going on!
You're a year younger than me and your a grandma. I can't even imagine myself as a grammy yet. Sounds fun. Enjoy and Congrats!

Your Realtor buddy.

amber buhrley said...

beth, I found your blog from ruthie! I am so excited for you and the new baby. I am with christy on tearing up at the same exact part and I am not pregnant! Congratulations! Looking forward to future entries!

jenn (+ will) said...

beth! my sis and i loved this post. you are too funny! heather is so amazing and so is wendy!!!

Georgia said...

I want all the fun Grandma details Beth!!! I really am so thrilled for your family!!! When you have sweet little Wendy, call me, I want to see her!!

Crystal said...

It was so amazing seeing little Windy shes so tiny and adorable. This was such a sweet story to read, Im so happy for you guys!

Jana Heller said...

congratulations! i can't believe that heather is old enough to have a baby. she is a beautiful baby! how exciting for you.

Shannon said...

AHHH!!! Beth I'm so glad that I found your blog through Monica's and holy crap yay for Heather having a beatiful little girl. Aww. . . I'm feeling so nostalgic. For sure tell Heather I said congrats and to you too for being a grandma. I hear it's the best. :)